Thus, the new iPhone 14 is the most repairable smartphone since the iPhone 7, according to iFixit experts. This makes sense, because not only does Apple work to make it easier for owners to repair their devices, but it also helps Apple technicians when they repair iPhones.
What is strange is that the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max lines are not as easy to fix. Apple may have decided it was prudent to test the durability of the new design before rolling it out across the board.
There are two things you need to be able to perform successful repairs: know-how and the right tools.
And iFixit has both.
For how-to, visit the company’s comprehensive repair guides. Simply the best information available, and all free.
But what about the tools?
Let’s take a look at some of the tools I use. Not all of them are iPhone specific, but these are the things I use the most when diagnosing or repairing faulty gadgets.
Exam: The iPhone 14 Pro wins with substance over the sizzle this year
My toolkit of choice for several years now has been the iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit. Pretty much everything I need, all stored in one place and in a handy carrying case. I’ve owned – and used – my set for many years, and it’s still going strong.
If I had to describe the new iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit in one word, it would be “perfect”.
Contents of the kit:
- 64-bit driver kit.
- Antistatic wristband.
- Little sucker.
- 3 iFixit opening tools.
- iFixit x6 Opening Picks.
- Reverse nylon tweezers.
- Angled ESD tweezers.
- Blunt ESD tweezers.
- 2x spudger.
- Metal spatula.
- Magnetic skate.
- Tool roll.
Here is a detailed list of all driver kit bits:
- Phillips 000, 00, 0, 1, 2.
- Flat head 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 mm.
- Torx T2, T3, T4, T5.
- Security Torx TR6, TR7, TR8, TR9, TR10, TR15, TR20, TR25.
- P2, P5, P6 pentalobe.
- ET D000, D00, D0, D1.
- Hex 0.7, 0.9, 1.3, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5mm.
- Three points Y000, Y00, Y0, Y1.
- Socket wrench 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 mm.
- Square 0, 1, 2.
- Gamebit 3.8, 4.5mm.
- Key 4, 6, 8.
- Triangle 2.3mm.
- SIM card eject bit.
- 1/4″ to 4mm screwdriver adapter.
USB power testers have become a staple of my test gear. A good tester can test if USB ports are producing the right amount of power, check device power consumption, measure battery capacity, check the loads that USB-C cables can carry, and much more. .
It is one of the easiest USB testers to use. It comes with really good instructions, and there aren’t too many buttons and controls to make everything confusing.
In addition to the display, this tool can record data to a PC recorder, which means you can perform longer tests.
This tool does so much that it is essential!
- Display: 1.14 inch IPS 240 x 135 pixels.
- Connector: Full 24-pin Type-C ports with USB3.2 Gen4 10Gbps pass-through.
- Voltage current range: DC 4-26V (0.1-26V PC) 0-6.8A.
- Resolution and Accuracy: 0.0001V 0.0001A 0.1%+2d.
- E-mark Reader: Support.
- Gravity Sensor: Support.
- VBUS oscilloscope: 8Msps, 1mV resolution.
- Quick charge trigger for PD, PD PPS, QC2.0/3.0, FCP, SCP, AFC, VOOC, SuperVOOC.
Also: This USB-C tester will tell you if your Apple chargers are genuine
My eyes aren’t what they used to be. Well, to be honest, my eyes have never looked so good, but I managed. Since I found tasks involving small things a bit problematic, it was time to do something about it.
Enter this inexpensive magnifier, which not only includes magnification lenses, but also LED lights.
- The headband is adjustable and super comfortable.
- Dual LED lights powered by two AAA batteries are bright and can swivel left and right, or tilt up or down.
- Comes with three lenses (a fixed 1.9x stereo lens, a 1.9x pull-down stereo lens and a 4.5x magnifier) allowing four magnifications up to 8.3x.
- The lenses are high quality and distortion free.
- It is light but durable.
I’ve been using mine for over a year now and have no complaints. I really like the pan and tilt LEDs because it allows me to get the light exactly on what I’m doing.
When the diagnoses are made, it’s time to start fixing things. And while most components are disposable these days, it’s nice when I come across something that’s repairable.
It could be a cable that has come loose or a component that needs to be replaced.
This is when a soldering iron comes in handy. I use a butane iron because it gives me the ability to fix things when I’m away from a power source.
- Cordless butane soldering torch, perfect not only for soldering but also pyrography, shrink heat sink, plastic cutting, heating and other hobby and craft projects.
- Integrated ignition trigger with safety lock to prevent accidental ignition.
- Variable temperature control for precise control, from 1022°F to 2192°F.
- The flame lock mechanism keeps the torch on a continuous flame for easier operation.
- Versatile 14-piece accessory kit.
- Refillable tank with a burn time of 75 minutes.
Also: The best night vision security cameras: see in the dark
My favorite Android smartphone is the Ulefone Armor 9. It’s rugged. It’s big! It’s hard. And it has a built-in FLIR Lepton thermal camera!
I used to think thermal imaging cameras were a cool toy for people with more money than common sense. But having used one for a few years now, I find it invaluable to have the “super power” to be able to see in infrared.
Because when it comes to electrical repairs, excess heat means there’s something wrong, and this camera lets me see that overload directly.
I use the Ulefone Armor 9’s thermal camera to spot bad connections and overheated components, and it’s a great tool for spotting heat buildup in PCs. It’s also great around the house for a myriad of things, from detecting heat escape points to finding airlocks in the heating system.
- Octa-core MediaTek Helios P90 processor, up to 2.2 GHz.
- 6.3 inch 2340 x 1080 FHD+ 410 PPI multi-touch LCD display with IPS technology.
- 8GB LPDDR4x dual channel RAM.
- 128GB UFS2.1 ROM.
- SD Card Up to 2TB.
- FLIR Lepton thermal camera with -10℃ – 400℃ range (assisted by 5 megapixel rear camera).
- 64-megapixel Samsung rear camera.
- Secondary 2-megapixel rear camera.
- Four-LED flash.
- 8 megapixel front camera.
- 6600mAh battery.
- 18W fast charging supported.
- Fingerprint unlock.
- Dual SIM support.
- Headphone jack.
- Endoscope port.
- USB-C port.
- IP68/IP69K/MIL-STD-810G certified.
#Handy #Tools #Diagnose #Fix #Broken #iPhone